Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ruby Tuesday's

Ruby Tuesday's offers three margaritas: the Classic Sauza Gold, Ultimate Patron, and Strawberry. Because the Misses are both purists and cheap, they sampled the Classic, described as "fresh lime juice mixed with DeKuyper Triple Sec and Sauza Gold Tequila to create a drink that's already a classic."


Courtney gives the Classic 7.5 out of 10 lime wedges.

"I have to admit that initially I thought the bartender, Sonya, seemed a little too German to make a decent margarita (perhaps I judged her harshly based on her habit of coming to stay with us a weekend and leaving seven months later). But, Sonya delivered an expertly prepared and garnished margarita that instantly impressed me with it's perfectly salted rim and beautifully positioned lime wedge. The minute this margarita hit my lips, however, I knew something was awry. Was it the sour mix? Did the lime juice spoil? It turns out this foreign margarita flavor was intentional, because Ruby's adds OJ to the Classic. Despite the typical company-line assertions from the bartender that the juice was "fresh squeezed," I still felt the orange juice flavor detracted from an otherwise fine margarita. Without the OJ, this margarita would have gotten at least an 8 for presentation and use of high quality ingredients. That being said, it was still a very good margarita and a great value at only $5."


Angela gives the Classic 6.5 out of 10 lime wedges.

Excellent presentation, including the lovely and beautiful bartender, Ms. Sonya. I agree with my partner that the salted rim and the fresh lime wedge were absolutely flawless. However, in searching for the perfect balance between sweet and sour, this one tipped towards the sour side. For me, one a bit too sour is much preferred over one too sweet. (see Hafner's post for comments of one too sweet). Nevertheless, the balance was off. While I appreciate the fresh squeezed orange and lime juices as opposed to artificial juices, I think too much natural juice is what resulted in this margarita being overly tart and overpowered the triple sec orange-flavored liqueur sweetner. I agree with my partner's comment that this margarita would be better without the OJ, leaving the sweet and sour balancing to the lime juice and triple sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment